Universal Credit/Employment and Support Allowance

Lubbock Fine, 1 April 2020

Placeholder image

If you are not eligible for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) perhaps because you are self-employed or earning below the Lower Earnings Limit of £118 per week and you have COVID-19 or are advised to stay at home, you can make a claim for Universal Credit and/or Employment and Support Allowance.

This new style Employment and Support Allowance is payable from day 1 of sickness rather than day 8 for those who have contracted COVID-19 or have been advised to stay at home. If you have been affected by coronavirus you can receive up to a month’s advance upfront without physically visiting a jobcentre.

The requirements of the Minimum Income Floor will be temporarily relaxed from the first day of the new financial year and this applies to all Universal Credit claimants. This change will last until the coronavirus outbreak is over.


For further information, contact your usual Lubbock Fine Partner or email us at enquiries@lubbockfine.co.uk.